Thursday, April 25, 2013

JUST HAVE TO SAY

I am so glad that spring has finally sprung here. No flowers or leaves on the trees, but it is going to be a wonderful weekend with highs around 20C (68F). Time to get my old bones moving. Got big plans for the weekend. Wash the windows with a marvelous new recipe for window cleaner I found. I am going to sit on my front porch and watch the world go by and I think I may take my oldest grandchild on a Geo caching day at our nearby provincial park. Not sure what the prize is at the end, but last weekends was held at the goose sanctuary and there were many, many eggs to be found. I think he will love the adventure.

Two of my wonderful grandsons share a birthday today. One is turning 12 the other one is turning 4. Mr. 4 idolizes Mr. 12. I am trying a new strategy for birthdays this year whereby each child gets a special day with grandmom. Well, I hope they think it is special! We do a special activity, and then we go somewhere for lunch/dinner where they want to go. As their birthdays fall on the same day, I am planning still to do their special days separately. I think I will take the youngest one out today. He loves going to a place called "Kid's City". It is all about climbing and oh so noisy. Then he will get to pick the dinner place and I'm thinking it will be MacDonald's as he loves their play structure also. For Mr. 12, I think the Geo caching trip and then if I know him correctly, he will want spaghetti.

After our long, long winter it will be nice to finally get outdoors and do something. Too bad that soon it will be mosquito season here and with all the flooding that is to happen, there will be many of those little pests about. Some years here are very bad and they have had to blanket the province with spraying. They use to use big military planes to spray, now with all the people wanting to live a healthier lifestyle, they use trucks and in the cities they have someone going around and checking every one's yard for sources of standing water. If you are "caught" they give you advice on how to make sure there are no sites for mosquito reproduction. I don't know if removing all the water works as I have seen years where the soil in flower beds and gardens is full of mosquitoes. We have heavy clay soil here which doesn't dry out easily and though most people amend the soil, it still isn't usually enough to have nice loam. Since I have lived in my province, I have seen a couple of years where the air is so thick with the pests that once you walked out the door your whole face was covered in them. Needless to say, that summer was wasted - hardly no one went outside. Usually you don't see too many in the day time, but those year it was terrible.

My window cleaner recipe is:
1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups warm tap water.
I used an old febreeze sprayer someone gave me and it held all the ingredients - no problem. Right now I live in a construction zone, so my windows are filthy and when I tried this mix, I was really surprised. It took all the grime off and the windows actually sparkle. When I sprayed it and was wiping it looked like the cornstarch was making a mess - little dots of it all over, but then I realized it was actually sitting on the dirtier areas and all I had to do was wipe over that area again. I guess it adhered to the heavier dirty areas. Anyways, was worth a try.

Well, I best be getting ready for the day. Enjoy Spring where ever you are.

Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment